Sunday, September 16, 2007

What I Don't Know

The older I get the more I realize I don't know a lot. For instance, in the past week I learned I don't understand why San Jacinto County replaced all the road signs on Route 150 from my house to downtown 'spring. Now I am smart enough to know signs may be replaced for the following reasons: 1) street name spelled wrong (happened to us once in South Carolina) 2) signs have been spraypainted with people-offending obcenities 3) signs have been peppered by buckshot and are no longer readible 4) speed limit had been altered to read 200 mph 5) signs had become seriously faded. However, none of these applied. No matter. Each new sign was placed approximately 2 feet from its predecessor. Interestingly enough, the old poles remain. This puzzles me even more than the signs, themselves. I mean, maybe that was a matter of convicts not having enough to do, or something. But why leave the poles? At some point is there a plan to somehow string all those poles together with barbed wire to keep the bad guys out?
One suggestion, though. Could the sign installer crew please take down the first sign before putting up the second? I was quite taken back at first, thinking there was something seriously wrong with my vision.

No comments: